The Meadowlands Racetrack launched a new era in American racing and established the site as the leading year-round facility for nighttime horse racing. The Meadowlands Racetrack is the number one harness track in North America, in both total wagering and attendance, as well as the leader in the presentation of simulcast racing from tracks around the world.
LOCATION: 50 State Route 120, East Rutherford, NJ 07073 (Bergen County)
GROUNDBREAKING: November 30, 1972
OPENING DAY: September 1, 1976
OWNER & MANAGER: New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority
COST: $100 million
ARCHITECT: Kivett & Meyers, Kansas City, MO
CONSTRUCTION: George A. Fuller Company
SPECIFICATIONS: 301 acres including parking
Main Track: 1-mile oval; length of stretch, 990 feet; width of stretch, 90 feet; width of backstretch 80 feet. The harness surface is made up of a limestone base and a crushed stone dust cushion. The thoroughbred surface is made up of a silt, clay, and loam composition.
Turf Course: 7/8-mile turf course inside the main track.
Backstretch Area: The backstretch houses 1,760 horses in 16 barns and accommodates 700 people in 7 dormitories.
Building: Paddock, Grandstand, Clubhouse, and Pegasus Levels for an estimated total capacity of 40,000.
Parking Capacity: 22,000 cars; general parking is FREE; general admission $1; clubhouse admission $3.
Restaurants: Pegasus, located on the Penthouse level, features views of the NY skyline. The Hambletonian Room and the President's Room can accommodate groups of 25 - 150. Located directly above the finish line and winner's circle is Terraces . For groups of 35-60, Terrace Suite is also available.
Paddock Park: Eight - acre area that runs the length of the homestretch can accommodate casual or elegant outdoor parties and is the site of family entertainment held in conjunction with many major races.
Group events for up to 2,500 can be scheduled.
GIANTS STADIUM - 1976-2009
Giants Stadium has gained a national reputation as one of the finest facilities in the country. Both the New York Giants and the New York Jets of the National Football League play at the Stadium, making it the only Stadium in the country to house two NFL teams. It is also home to the NY/NJ Red Bulls of Major League Soccer. In addition, the Stadium is a leading concert facility and hosts a wide variety of sports and special events, such as the 1986 closing ceremonies of the Statue of Liberty Centennial Celebration, seven sold-out soccer games during the 1994 FIFA World Cup soccer championship, and a Papal Mass celebrated by John Paul II in 1995.
LOCATION: Meadowlands Sports Complex, 50 State Route 120, East Rutherford, NJ 07073 (Bergen County)
GROUNDBREAKING: November 30, 1972
OPENING DAY: October 10, 1076 – Giants vs. Dallas football game before a sold-out crowd of 76,042.
OWNER & MANAGER: New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority
COST: $75 million
COORDINATING ARCHITECTS-ENGINEERS PLANNERS: Ewing Cole Erdman & Eubank, Philadelphia and Clauss & Nolan, Scranton
DESIGN ARCHITECT: Kivett & Myers, Kansas City, MO.
CONSTRUCTION MANAGER: George A. Fuller, New York
- Seating Capacity: 80,242
- ADA Seating: 180
- Parking Capacity: 25,000 paved; 1,500 unpaved; disabled parking 300
- Field Dimensions: 433’ long x 269’ wide (wall to wall)
- Building Dimensions: 756’ long x 592’ wide x 144’ (Service Level to the top of seating bowl)178’ Service Level to the top of the South Tower)
- Playing Surface: natural grass
- Concourse Dimension: 20’ wide (2 ½ laps around concourse = 1 mile)
- Suites: 119
Site of the 1996 NCAA Final Four, the Arena boasts an extraordinary record of sports and entertainment, stretching back to its glorious opening of six sold-out Bruce Springsteen concerts in 1981. It was originally named Brendan Byrne Arena, but was also referred to as the Meadowlands Arena. On October 31, 2007, it was renamed IZOD CENTER.
Location: Meadowlands Sports Complex, 50 State Route 120, East Rutherford, NJ 07073(Bergen County)
- 4 miles west of Lincoln Tunnel
- 8 miles from George Washington Bridge
- 12 miles from Newark International Airport
- Accessible to New Jersey Turnpike, Interstate 80, Routes 3, 17 & 120
OPENING DAY: July 2, 1981 (Bruce Springsteen opened the arena with six sold-out concerts.)
OWNER & MANAGER: New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority
COST: $85 million
ARCHITECT/ Joint Venture: Grad Partnership (Architect) and Dilullo, Clauss, Ostroki & Partners (Engineering/Planning), Newark, NJ
CONSTRUCTION: Terminal Construction, Wood Ridge, NJ (general contractors) and George A. Fuller Company, New York, NY (construction manager)
- Site Occupies: 48 acres
- Seating Capacity: 20,049
- Parking Capacity: 4,000 cars in immediate arena area and 22,000 additional spaces in stadium and racetrack lots.
- Building Dimensions: 475 feet (length) x 408 feet (wide) x 140 feet (height) with 25,000 square feet of exhibition space
- Suites: 29
MONMOUTH PARK RACETRACK
Monmouth Park Racetrack, with its gracefully manicured grounds, English Walking Ring, and stately presence, has long been considered by generations of shore residents and visitors one of America's most beautiful racing venues and is the home of the $1,000,000 Haskell Invitational Handicap, the richest invitational thoroughbred race in North America.
LOCATION: 175 Oceanport Avenue, Oceanport, NJ 07757 (Monmouth County)
Exit 105 on the Garden State Parkway
HISTORY: Monmouth Park opened on July 30, 1870, and the inaugural meet was just five days long. By 1873 difficult financial times forced the sale of the track. In 1878 a syndicate made up of George L. Lorillard, D.D. Withers, G.P. Wetmore and James Gordon Bennett purchased the facility and spent four years restoring the grounds and rebuilding the grandstand. The facility was so popular that it soon outgrew its boundaries and an additional 160 acres were purchased for a second and more beautiful Monmouth Park. Due to a legislative ban on horse wagering in New Jersey, the track closed in 1893 and the land was sold.
RE-OPENING: On June 19, 1946, the third and present-day Monmouth Park opened. Originally consisting of 600 acres, today, Monmouth Park has a total of 320 acres, of which 220 acres are occupied by the main track and buildings.
OWNER & MANAGER: New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.
On September 24, 1985, the NJSEA acquired the historic racetrack. The acquisition was financed by the issuance of $39,435,000 in principal amount of Monmouth Park Revenue Bonds, 1985 Series.
CONSTRUCTION: Hendricks Construction, Leonardo, NJ
SPECIFICATIONS: 220 acres including the main track properties, Grandstand, Clubhouse, Clubhouse parking areas and backstretch area.
Main Track: 1-mile oval; length of stretch, 985 feet; width of stretch, 100 feet; width of backstretch 90 feet.
Turf Course: 7/8 of a mile with chute for 1 1/16 and 1 1/8 mile races, width is approximately 90 feet; while chute is 100 feet; with a surface mixture of four kinds of bluegrass and one type of rye grass.
Backstretch Area: The backstretch houses approximately 1,600 horses in 38 barns and provides accommodations for close to 1,000 backstretch employees.
Building Capacity: Grandstand seats 13,000, the Clubhouse Seats 5,000. 68 private Parterre Boxes are located above the Clubhouse.
Parking Capacity: 14,000 cars.
Restaurants: Dining Terrace, Salvator Grill, Lady's Secret Cafe, Paddock Sports Bar, Monmouth Cafe, picnic area, as well as five private dining areas for large and small groups.
ATLANTIC CITY CONVENTION CENTER
The Atlantic City Convention Center is a state-of-the art meeting venue and one of the most sophisticated facilities of its kind in the nation. It is the only facility with the vision to create the first convention center equipped with permanently installed network infrastructure and gateways that provide low cost, reliable, reusable managed business services. This vision has since been adopted by major centers throughout North America. The Atlantic City Convention Center is easily accessible by land, New Jersey Transit, rail or air.
LOCATION: One Ocean Way, Atlantic City, NJ 08401 (Atlantic County, NJ)
Prominently positioned at the base of the Atlantic City Expressway
- 20 minutes from Atlantic City International Airport
- 60 minutes from Philadelphia (60 miles Northwest)
- 2 1/2 hours from New York City (110 miles North)
- 3 1/2 hours from Washington, D.C. (200 miles Southwest)
GROUNDBREAKING: February 24, 1993
OPENING DAY: May 1, 1997
ARCHITECT: Wallace Roberts & Todd of Philadelphia, PA
CONSTRUCTION: Worth Construction, Bethel, CT
OWNER: New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority under a 99 year lease (since 1992)
BUILDING MANAGER: Atlantic City Convention Center Visitor's Authority
OPERATIONS MANAGER: SMG
COST: $268 million
SPECIFICATIONS: 500,000 contiguous square feet of space equipped with state-of-the-art technology for voice, data and video communications (375 miles of communications cable, 16,300 light fixtures, and 1,800 miles of electrical wire and cable) located on a site of approximately 31 acres featuring 29 convenient loading docks, four (4) drive-in-doors, mechanical levelators, and 1400 indoor parking space
- Five spacious exhibit halls on the second level range in size from 29,4000 square feet to 199,5000 square feet.
- The Special Event Hall (Hall A) is 29,400 square feet.
- Forty-Five (45) meeting rooms surrounding the center atrium lobby totaling 109,100 square feet ranging in size from 11,880 square feet to 672 square feet.
- Multi-Media Presentation Room features a large screen projection system including integrated video conferencing and videotape and audio input to any point in the world.
- Award of Excellence in Architectural Design" from the Pennsylvania Society of Architects.
- Award of Excellence (Corporate & Incentive magazine -1999)
- Gold Service Award (Meeting & Conventions magazine - 1999)
- Pinnacle Award (Successful Meetings magazine)
- Planner's Choice Award (Meeting News magazine - 2000)
- Prime Site Award (Facilities and Destinations magazine - 2000)
- LaLegion D'Honneur Du Voyage bestowed an additional tribute in naming the Atlantic City Convention Center the world's best convention center based on facilities, infrastructure, management and dedication to the ideals of the Legion.
HISTORIC BOARDWALK HALL
LOCATION: 2301 Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ 08401 (Atlantic County)
Original building, constructed in 1929, is bound by the Boardwalk and Atlantic Ocean on the south, Pacific Avenue on the north, Mississippi Avenue on the east, and Georgia Avenue on the west.
The West Hall, added in 1971, is located on the west side of Georgia Avenue.
HISTORY: In 1923, voters approved a referendum to construct a major convention facility in Atlantic City. In October of the same year the city purchased the site of Rendezvous Park for $1,700,000. Demolition of the site began on August 2, 1926, and construction began the following year. The Convention Hall was completed in 1929, and was opened with an elaborate three-day ceremony beginning on May 31, 1929. Charles Curtis, Vice-president of the United States, delivered the dedication address before a guest list that included senators, governors, and foreign ambassadors. The entire dedication ceremony was broadcast nationwide by NBC and CBS, and recorded for movie newsreels. The official name at dedication was Atlantic City Convention Hall but the local citizens and media referred to it as "the Auditorium". With the additional construction in 1971 of the "Steston-West Hall, the original structure became known as the East Hall. It is a leading example of Roman Renaissance architecture. The largest trusses in the world support its barrel-vaulted roof and enclose the largest clear-span space in the world. Even today, the Auditorium is still one of the largest rooms in the world. The multi-purpose facility was the home of the Miss America Pageant since 1933-2004 and hosts concerts, sporting events, family entertainment, meetings and corporate events. The world's first indoor football game was played here - October 25, 1930, when Lafayette University played Washington Jefferson University. It gained significance as the site of the 1935 rift in the American Federation of Labor, which led to the founding of the Congress of Industrial Organizations. In 1964 the Democratic National Convention was held there, and during World War II the Army used the center for a training facility.
- September 1983, was designated a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- February 27, 1987, was listed on the United States Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark.
- On March 2, 1993, listed on the New Jersey State Register of Historic Places.
OPENING DAY: May 31, 1929
ARCHITECT: Lockwood, Green & Company of Boston
CONSTRUCTION: M.B. Markland & Company, Atlantic City
ORIGINAL COST: $15 Million
OWNER: Historic Boardwalk Hall LLC, sub lessee of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority which leases the property under a long-term lease.
BUILDING MANAGER:SMG (Since 1992)
CONSTRUCTION AND RENOVATION HISTORY: Historic Boardwalk Hall set engineering and architectural records when it was constructed in 1929. The outside dimension of the trusses was 343 feet, the ceiling rose 130 feet above the 310-foot by 456-foot arena floor of the Auditorium. The Auditorium floor area was 140,000 square feet with seating capacity of 32,000, in addition to the 23,000 square-foot Ballroom, which had a capacity of 5,000. The world's largest enclosed clear span space was the result of the ten trusses and the barrel-vault roof. The original design pioneered the application of indirect lighting. The196,000 square-foot barrel vault of aluminum-painted acoustical tiles acted as light reflectors for the flood lamps concealed in the trusses. The Hall had the largest pipe organ in the world and the largest stage in the world. The original building completely covers its seven-acre site. In 1959, the first major work was undertaken on the building since construction. The $3,500,000 renovation included demolition of the Boardwalk arcade and remodeling of the main entrance. The driveway under the Boardwalk was constructed and escalators were installed. Windows between the Ballroom and Loggia were filled in with concrete masonry. The stage was extended. From 1968 to 1971, an additional one-story 181,000 square-foot exhibition space was constructed west of the original building and named the West Hall. The construction project cost $13 million. The next major renovation occurred in 1984 (Renaissance II). The architects were Cambridge Seven of Cambridge Massachusetts and Benjamin E. Brewer, Jr. The General Contractor was Hall Construction Co. Inc. of Wall, New Jersey. The arcade was rebuilt on the Boardwalk façade, the blocked-up Ballroom windows overlooking the oceanfront loggia were reopened, Ballroom, entrance lobby and vestibule were remodeled, the Auditorium walls were repainted. The project cost $23 million. The Hall was reopened on April 11, 1986.
In 1993 a new sheet metal roof was installed, attached with toggle bolts through the gypsum plank roof decking.
The facility underwent a $90 million restoration over a three year period from 1999-2001 that transformed the building's East Hall into a special events arena. Boardwalk Hall was reopened October 12, 2001 for the Miss America Pageant, it's marquee event. Boardwalk Hall will play host to unique mlti-purpose events and will be home to sports, family entertainment, concerts, ice shows and boxing. Additionally, the state-of-the-art facility compliments the Atlantic City Convention Center as an attractive venue for meetings and trade shows.Ewing Cole Cherry Brott of Philadelphia was the architect and the general contractor was Tishman Construction Company of New York. The renovations included:
A new seating bowl of approximately 14,000 seats that can be set in a variety of configurations depending on the event.
Restoration of the original 137 foot barrel vaulted ceiling with improved acoustics and high-tech lighting effects.
- Modern sound and rigging technologies, moveable rigging grid with 90,000 lbs. Hanging capacity.
- Spacious concourse with a variety of concession facilities and a full service kitchen suitable for catering special events.
- The original arcade area restored to condition to include the proscenium curtain and pylons and the stained glass globe located on the stage, as well as the historic state seals that decorate the arcade a the upper level of the seating tiers.
- An ice rink measuring 200' x 85' with a permanent stage 148' x 74' and a portable stage of 80' x 60'.
THE WILDWOODS CONVENTION CENTER
The Wildwoods Convention Center is an outstanding, state-of-the-art, multi-purpose venue suitable for meetings, trade shows, civic events, concerts and sports. Situated on the beach side of Wildwoods Boardwalk, the center features a breathtaking ocean view while providing an ideal setting for attendees and exhibitors to meet in a casual and relaxed atmosphere. The Wildwoods Convention Center is the perfect location to mix business with family pleasure.
LOCATION: 4500 Boardwalk, Wildwood, NJ 08260-0217 (Cape May County, NJ)
- 45 minutes from Atlantic City International Airport (44 miles)
- 1 1/2 hours from Philadelphia (87 miles)
- 3 hours from New York City (150 miles)
- 3 1/2 hours from Washington, D.C. (182 miles)
OPENED: May 9-11, 2002
ARCHITECT: LMN, Seattle, WA
CONSTRUCTION: Turner Construction Company, Philadelphia, PA
OWNER: New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority
BUILDING MANAGER: Greater Wildwood Tourism Improvement & Development
OPERATIONS MANAGER: SMG
COST: $68.3 million
- 260,000 total square feet
- 75,000 square feet of exhibit space which can be divided into two 37,500 square foot areas. The area features a light transferable fabric roof system allowing natural light to shine through during the day and light from inside to illuminate to the outside during the evening
- 8,675 square feet of meeting space and 11,700 square feet of ballroom accommodations
- 6,600 square-foot oceanfront deck for pre-functions and boardwalk beach extension for strolling to the water's edge between meetings.
- Flexible capacity with up to 7,000 seats in main hall.
- Voice and data communications in exhibit hall floor boxes.
- An access drive with two ramps and 12 loading docks with a floor load of 350 pounds per square foot runs under the boardwalk area to the facility allowing direct access onto the show floor
NEW JERSEY HALL OF FAME
The New Jersey Hall of Fame will honor our citizens who have made invaluable contributions to society and the world beyond. The Hall of Fame also wants to send a message to children that they can and should strive for excellence in any endeavor of their choosing. By offering them role models, we also trust that the Hall of Fame will become a source of inspiration and hope for all New Jersey children.