The former NJMC purchased this 220-acre site in 1998 from Sisselman Israel Associates. It is bounded on the southwest by the New Jersey Transit Bergen Line, on the southeast by the New Jersey Turnpike and on the northeast by Berry’s Creek Canal.
The northern portions of the tract along the Berry’s Creek Canal received spoils from the original dredging of the canal in 1911. The northeastern half of the site received hydraulically broadcast spoils removed during the construction of the New Jersey Turnpike during the mid-1950s. Together, these activities eliminated much low saltmarsh, burying it beneath several feet of fill material. This site is dominated by the invasive of the Common Reed (Phragmites).